Saturday, July 9, 2011

Reflections about contemporary fashion world (Azzedine Alaia, Anna Wintour, Franca Sozzani)

   

I suppose, most of you has already read the Azzedine Alaia interview for Virgine Magazin. If not, read it! 
He shares his thoughts about fashion and makes some scandalous statements. 
Well, actually, Alaia was always standing aside from the fashion system. He made his shows when he wanted and as he wanted. He is one of those free artists in a very market-oriented fashion. And, surprisingly, he manages to sale a lot and his brand at the and has a very strong marketing policy. This is a good examole of how to make publicity without actually making it
So, here some quotes of the interview:

" The system imposed Galliano, and others, to make four collections for him, four collections for the house, four for men, and four for women. When you have one idea per year, it’s already a miracle! Now, it has become crafty fiddling at a breakneck pace. That’s not the essence of fashion. How can you really be creative under these circumstances? For the young designers it’s very hard, and for the more mature, they drink more, take more drugs… what I am saying is that the system is not right. We have to see the work from another angle. The system is too stressful: too many collections, too much pressure. "

" If you want to do a good creative job, it takes time. I don’t want to end up senile, old, and destroyed by fashion. I am privileged because I really do what I want to, at my own pace."

"How do you feel about Karl Lagerfeld?
I don’t like his fashion, his spirit, his attitude. It’s too much caricature. Karl Lagerfeld never touched a pair of scissors in his life. That doesn’t mean that he’s not great, but he’s part of another system. He has capacity. One day he does photography, the next he does advertisements for Coca-Cola. I would rather die than see my face in a car advertisement. We don’t do the same work. And I think that he is not doing a favor to young stylists who might think it works that way. They’re going to fall before they retire."

"You have some problems with Anna Wintour?
I said it before. She runs the business (Vogue) very well, but not the fashion part. When I see how she is dressed, I don’t believe in her tastes one second. I can say it loudly! She hasn’t photographed my work in years even if I am a best seller in the U.S. and I have 140 square meters at Barneys. American women love me; I don’t need her support at all. Anna Wintour doesn’t deal with pictures; she is just doing PR and business, and she scares everybody. But when she sees me, she is the scared one. [Laughs.] Other people think like me, but don’t say it because they are afraid that Vogue won’t photograph them. Anyway, who will remember Anna Wintour in the history of fashion? No one. Take Diana Vreeland, she is remembered because she was so chic. What she did with the magazine was great, with Avedon and all the great photographers. Vogue remains while its fashion editors come and go."

I always considered  Anna as an indispitable authority. As far as Vogue.  Caught every her word.  And now I just asked myself: why? does she really deserve this attitude?
Let's have a look at  her style and some particularly doubtful looks.










Maybe everyone has a right on mistake, even the sun has its spots as they say.  The only thing I am thinking about is the fact that there is no indisputable authority in this world and we all have to think with our heads and make our choices sometimes. This is it. 

And then I thought about Sozzani.  A great woman with a great view. I had a pleasure to meet her once and was extremely fascinated by her style, elegance and simplicity at the same time. And beauty. Interior and Exterior. Could it be, that it is her, indisputable authority? Who knows...




1 comment:

  1. I like your comments on Alaia's thoughts! Great post :)

    http://naked-glory.blogspot.com
    Vera

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...